Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Slippery Slopes

When something can go wrong, it will....
B is super thorough and so he does the planning, and I am super impulsive - and i work on execution, hence we find the magical 'im'balance..We didnt need Murphy to make this worse....We went skiing this weekend and B spent almost an hour telling me and his kid sis H the nuances of skiing, the do's and more importantly the don’ts..Not to mention that he had ensured that we arm ourselves with every thing that the ski section had..I had the music and snack packs for the long drive...These days grocery bags come with nice padding - I say to myself...We load a household of stuff for our one day road-trip ...We are light packers - Thank you, but with us, you wont miss a thing ;) !!...
And then Murphy joined us .... We realized at an unholy hour of the morning that we did not buy the snow chains !!! Snow chains weren't really needed we learnt, but the highway trooper would send you back if u dint have it...
How many stores that open early on a Sunday in Southern California carry snow chains...Very few - we realized...Several GPS searches and stores later, we found a lone package waiting for us.
On reaching the ski resort, we saw that we had missed B's gloves. Damnn !!...He was full of remorse and guilt cursing himself as he parted with $40 for a new pair while his old ones were hiding in the in the food bag (remember the nice padding in the grocery bag) in the car. Next was our discovery that both Cingular and Verizon have poor signal strengths in that area. After a couple of hide and seeks, we were all set for skiing. B went his way to his slopes. He would take the advanced slopes, so we petty beginners would not have his company to guide us through our mis-steps !!. J We got to the beginner slopes just to find that H and B's ski's got exchanged and while B was trying to squeeze his big boot into his ...H was wondering if a latch broke off on her's ...While it was taking an hour for them to sort that out and get back on the slopes, I was now an expert at ..... falling !!! Just when I thought I got the hang of it and did a small cruise around in all my pride and style and was waiting for the thunderous applause in my head....BANG !!!!...a fellow desi boy rams me down, and we roll down the slopes all the way to the side fence in total bollywoodish style...except that this was hardly romantic...I had discovered a couple of extra muscles I had never known existed. Now the challenge of walking up the slope..It felt more like walking on a treadmill, it was sucking energy, but I wasn’t moving an inch. Worse still, fellow desi boy was holding me as his anchor.
A couple more hours, and we were exhausted as they closed off the slopes and B joins us after his complaints on how these silly beginners were hardly moving on his slopes. Cramps his style .. J. ...We moonwalk towards the equipment returns and am I glad to wear my sneakers back, felt like walking in the heavens. I never appreciated them so much.
B wants to know if I will do this again...I smile back, yes I will. In spite of all the aches and the confusions, I loved it

2 comments:

  1. I have never done skiing. Should try it out sometime. Should probably call Athimbs for some tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. priya, that was admirable of u both. me and krishna tried skiiing and gave up after the very first attempt.

    just the knowledge of what it could do to my knee ligaments made me scream everytime i got up from falling.

    ReplyDelete